An official music video has been made for a track on the Periskop full-length Immerse, which was released on Kabalion Records in June 2015.
The music video was made by Danish video producer, musician and illustrator Emil Brahe and uploaded on YouTube in August 2015. The music video consists of more or less abstract scenes and cuts from various old black and white documentaries from the public domain with industrial, technical or oceanic themes.
Each scene and cut has been carefully selected to convey the mood, ebbs and flows of the bleak drone track, which is the closing track on Immerse. The track it self is heavily textured by field recordings from harbour settings and other out door soundscapes.
The source material was only available in a slightly poor digital resolution. The pixelation has been more or less blurred out by Brahe, who used an old VHS-C video camcorder to record a computer screen showing the old documentaries. Of course this re-analogizing of the material is slightly ironic as the end result is re-digitized for upload to YouTube. Maybe in a not too distant future the music video format will see a material revival in some of the old analogue video formats.
This 2015 Periskop music video is similar to the 2013 Periskop music video for Periskop – 1. I (with Danish National Symphony Orchestra). This was made by Danish music video production enterprise Tarfilm, who also used old archive videos but with a smaller degree of abstraction and strong emphasis on submarine themes.
Watch and read about the Tarfilm music video for Periskop here.
This 2015 music video for Periskop by Emil Brahe is one in an amount of collaborations between Emil Brahe (pictured left above) and I during the last couple of years:
- In 2011 he released the EP Black Cloud Of Becoming with his doom metal band SOL on my drone & doom netlabel Drowning.
- In 2012 Emil recorded vocals for a track on the Periskop LP album released as part of Periskop 40 in 2013. Listen to the track here.
- In 2013 SOL performed in Aarhus on the Periskop 40 release tour.
- In 2013 SOL also released the full-length And the mouth of time is open on Drowning.
- In 2014 I participated on the recording of the forthcoming SOL album The storm bells chime, which will be released later this month on Italian black/doom metal label Avantgarde Music.