Earlier this month, a two-hour DJ set was podcasted as Ambient Session #34 by the Dutch label and podcast enterprise Deep Electronics. The set was recorded for the purpose, and made in May-June 2017 through several re-iterations after an initial all-night session.
The mix contains interwoven soundscapes from 1994-2017 (scroll down for tracklist). Of the older tracks, some of them are probably totally forgotten by most and others timeless classics by now. The set revolves around a certain brooding or even melancholic introspective mood, which I have tried to find in works from several soundscape movements: dark ambient, industrial ambient, isolationist drones, glitch, deep techno, dungeon synth and few works with more extreme soundscapes.
1. Seht – Valles Marineris (Digitalis, 2006)
2. Thomas Köner – Polynya II (Mille Plateaux, 2004)
3. BJ Nilsen – Viking North (Touch, 2007)
4. Periskop & Kiloton – 20050402
5. Vladislav Delay – Pietola (Chain Reaction, 2000)
6. Novisad – Methadecorre (Tomlab, 1998)
7. Rapoon – A Sky Beckons Down (Glacial Movements, 2016)
8. Metatron Omega – Hierosgamos (Cryo Chamber, 2015)
9. Cisfinitum – District Delta (Insofar Vapor Bulk, 2000)
10. Biosphere – Sphere Of No-Form (Origo, 1997)
11. The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath A Cloud – Amara Tanta Tyri XIII (Arthur’S Round Table, 1994)
12. Hedge Wizard – As Old As The Hills (No label, 2014)
13. Anthony Linell – Seeking Immortality (Nortern Electronics, 2017)
14. Troum – Sigqan I (Desolation House, 2003)
15. Lundin Oil – Facing Expulsion (Northern Electronics, 2016)
16. Robert Rich & Brian Lustmord – A Point Of No Return (Fathom, 1995)
17. Claudio PRC – φάσμα Part II (TGP, 2016)
18. The Haxan Cloak – In Memoriam (Aurora Borealis, 2011)
19. The Haxan Cloak – Miste (Tri Angle, 2013)
20. Grey Area – Volume Two 2 (Grey Area, 2016)
21. Grey Area – Volume Two 3 (Grey Area, 2016)
22. Rapoon – Night That Thunders (Soleilmoon, 1996)
23. James Ruskin – From Over The Edge (Tresor, 2000)
24. Seking – Risk (Karaoke Kalk, 1999)
25. SHXCXCHCXSH – SsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSs (Avian, 2016)
26. Fennesz – Surf (Touch, 2002)
27. (DOLCH) – Bahrelied (Ván/Totenmusik, 2015)
There are two or three tracks playing simultaneously through most of the mix. It features a track from my old collaboration with Kiloton. I have already written a bit about this in relation to the set with my own productions, that I did for The Memoir.
This is the 5th DJ set podcast I have done in recent years, and the 2nd time with ambient music after the 2015 Periskop DJ set for The Awareness. In mood and style, this ambient set for Deep Electronics is also comparable to the Sunday Night Wrongness DJ mix from 2003, which is still online.
As is also evident in my own productions, ambient music is obviously a style of music I enjoy, and have been following it’s development since the mid-90s, when I was still in primary school.
The podcast artwork was made by Jeroen Smulders of Deep Electronics from one of his own photographs. Apparently it was taken on a rocking boat, which explains the non-horizontal horizon.